The familiar yellow cable is not just a symbol for the legendary efficiency of AS-Interface , it is also one of the reasons for it. Even its basic geometry offers significant advantages. In contrast to the round cables used in conventional automation systems, no plugs or tees are needed for connecting modules to the ASi flat cable. This saves not only material but also a great amount of time in installation and documentation – while at the same time providing virtually limitless topological freedom. The following articles deal with the installation technology in IP67.
- Connection to ASi with profile cable or round cable
- Profile cable and round cable under the magnifying glass
- Cable protection
- Installation of profile cable and round cable
- Installation with profile cable
- Profile cable and round cable in combination
- Simple and secure application
- Passive distributor optional with integrated fuse
- Cable protection against short circuits
- Power distribution
- Comparison between ASi Installation and other IP67 fieldbus systems
- 24 Volt ASi
- Save time and money
Linking to ASi is made by the yellow or the black ASi profile cable (left) with penetration technology or using the M12 round cable (right).
The profile cable is available with a conductor cross-section of 1,5 mm² or 2,5 mm².
ASi together with M12 allows you to use commonly available plugs and cables. The typical conductor cross-sections for M12 cables are less than 0.4 mm². The conductor cross-section has an affect on the cable protection.
- The special shape ensures that the cable is routed correctly
- No additional hardware necessary
- Cable is simply unrolled from the cable reel in the desired length
The IP67 modules are suitable as a start or end point of the profile cables. No additional end caps are required. The ASi/AUX profile cable can begin or end directly in the module (IP54).
ASi profile cables can be used through a passive distributor in combination with an M12 connector. The optimal installation for any application.
- Contact pins always penetrate vertically into the profile cable to guarantee optimal contact
- Optimal contact provided by:
- Vertical contacting
- 4 pins per cable and 2 pins per conductor
- The upper section can be connected in captive fashion with the substructure module thanks to the mounting mechanism
- Upper section is freely rotatable and removable
- The new mounting mechanism prevents damage to the profile cable
Cable protection against short circuits
- Optional with integrated fuse, either with 4 × 4 A replaceable fuse or with 4 × 1 A self-resetting fuse
- Additional protection for connected devices
- Reliable protection against short circuits
Special assemblies on request
- Mostly line structure
- No stub cables Any stub
- Shielded, twisted cables (exception: IO-Link)
- Data and power separate (for IO-Link partially in the same round cable)
- Installation only via plug/socket
- Many cables of various lengths usually needed
- Coarser granularity, generally at least 8 in-/outputs per module
- 24 Volt power distribution: M12 (Ø < 0.4 mm²) usually with many fuses and single leads from the control cabinet or through ¾ inch plugs
- No special power supply needed
- Any structure: line, star or mixed
- Any stub cables
- Unshielded, non-twisted cable
- Data and power on the same cable
- Installation using flat cable, M12 plugs or mixed
- Simply cut flat cable to the required length from the spool
- Fine granularity: Modules with 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 I/Os available; the more modules or the finer the granularity, the greater the cost advantage when using penetration technology
- 24 Volt power distribution: With centralized feeding over black flat cable (Ø 1.5/2.5 mm²); if needed, passive distributors in IP67 for changing to round cable with smaller conductor cross-section are available
- Up to 50 m cable length no special power supply needed (24V ASi)
U = R × I
Voltage = Resistance × Current
The longer the ASi cable , the greater the resistance. This means for 24 Volt ASi that a cable length of 50 meters should not be exceeded, since otherwise the voltage could drop too much.
The yellow ASi cable represents the simplest connection technology and efficient power distribution. Discover how you can save around 68 % on wiring costs compared to round cable solutions.
The standardized fieldbus system AS-Interface (ASi) helps you drastically reduce your wiring complexity. You also benefit from free choice of topology and cost-effective integration of safety features on the same infrastructure.
Extend the range of the ASi circuit flexibly and cost-effectively. Learn more about the possibilities of cable extension.